History

Basement Arts, formerly the "Student Laboratory Theatre" began in 1923 with a bill of one-act plays. This developed into 12 productions a year directed, designed, and acted entirely by students. It continued until John Russell Brown became chair in 1985. It started up again when Erik Fredricksen became chair in 1990. It continues today under the name Basement Arts.